- Wines Online
- Wines of Argentina
- Wines of Australia
- Wines of Austria
- Wines of England
- Wines of Chile
- Wines of France and Alsace
- Wines of France and Beaujolais
- Wines of France and Bordeaux
- Wines of France and Burgundy
- Wines of France and Regional F..
- Wines of France and The Loire ..
- Wines of France and The Rhone ..
- Wines of Germany
- Wines of Greece and Cyprus
- Wines of Israel
- Wines of Italy
- Wines of Lebanon
- Wines of New Zealand
- Wines of Portugal
- Wines of South Africa
- Wines of Spain and Rioja
- Wines of Tasmania
- Wines of America and Californi..
- Dessert Wines
- Large Wine Formats
- Wine Half Bottles
- Wines of Japan
- Wines of Switzerland
- Wines of Mallorca
- Wines of Croatia
- Wines of Bulgaria
- Wines of Hungary
- Wines of Brazil
- Wines of Uruguay
- Champagne and Vintage Champagn..
- Sparkling Wines
- Fine Spirits and Brandy
- Port Wine and Madeira Wine
- Vermouth, Bitters, Aperitifs a..
- Sirops, Syrups, Cordials and I..
- Country Fruit Wines
- British Beers and Cider
- Fine Wine and Spirit Gifts
- Gifts for Golfers and Sport Cl..
- Wine and Fine Spirit Accessori..
- Bar and Cocktail Equipment
- Glasses for Wine, Port and Whi..
- Special Offers on Wines, Lique..
- Rare Wines and Fine Spirits
- Non Alcoholic Aperitifs, Fruit..
- Special Wine Voucher
- British Mead
- British Liqueurs
Tequila, Sotol and Mezcal
Products › Fine Spirits and Brandy › Tequila, Sotol and Mezcal
Buy Tequila, Sotol and Mezcal Online
TEQUILA AND MEZCAL ONLINE
Tequila and Mezcal are very similar alcoholic drinks, except that Tequila can only be made from the blue agave plant grown in a limited region close to the city of Tequila in the Mexican state of Jalisco. Sotol on the other hand can be made from other varieties of the agave plant and can be produced throughout the state of Jalisco and other areas too.
The agave which takes over ten years to mature and its heart which can weigh over fifty kilos is slowly cooked in large ovens to create a sweet liqueur which in turn is fermented. Quality Tequila is double-distilled in pot stills, continuous stills are used to produce the standard style of Tequila and most Mezcal.
Tequila is usually bottled in one of five categories:
Blanco or White………is a white spirit usually unaged, although some are aged for up to two months. This style is very popular in cocktails.
Joven or Gold………can be a blend of more than one category of tequila and is often flavoured with caramel and or sugar syrup.
Reposado……….is a tequila that has been aged in oak barrels for a period of two months to one year.
Anejo or Vintage……….has to by law be aged in small oak barrels for a minimum of one year, but less than three years.
Extra Anejo or Extra Aged…….would have been aged in small oak barrels for a minimum of three years.
Alexander Hadleigh Wine Merchants, Southampton, Hampshire, UK list a range of Mezcal and Tequila, including the five categories mentioned above.