- Wines Online
- Wines of Argentina
- Wines of Australia
- Wines of Austria
- Wines of England
- Wines of Chile
- Wines of France and Alsace
- Wines of France and Beaujolais
- Wines of France and Bordeaux
- Wines of France and Burgundy
- Wines of France and Regional F..
- Wines of France and The Loire ..
- Wines of France and The Rhone ..
- Wines of Germany
- Wines of Greece and Cyprus
- Wines of Israel
- Wines of Italy
- Wines of Lebanon
- Wines of New Zealand
- Wines of Portugal
- Wines of South Africa
- Wines of Spain and Rioja
- Wines of Tasmania
- Wines of America and Californi..
- Dessert Wines
- Large Wine Formats
- Wine Half Bottles
- Wines of Japan
- Wines of Switzerland
- Wines of Mallorca
- Wines of Croatia
- Wines of Bulgaria
- Wines of Hungary
- Wines of Brazil
- Wines of Uruguay
- Champagne and Vintage Champagn..
- Sparkling Wines
- Fine Spirits and Brandy
- Port Wine and Madeira Wine
- Vermouth, Bitters, Aperitifs a..
- Sirops, Syrups, Cordials and I..
- Country Fruit Wines
- British Beers and Cider
- Fine Wine and Spirit Gifts
- Gifts for Golfers and Sport Cl..
- Wine and Fine Spirit Accessori..
- Bar and Cocktail Equipment
- Glasses for Wine, Port and Whi..
- Special Offers on Wines, Lique..
- Rare Wines and Fine Spirits
- Non Alcoholic Aperitifs, Fruit..
- Special Wine Voucher
- British Mead
- British Liqueurs
Cognac and Fine Brandy
Products › Fine Spirits and Brandy › Cognac and Fine Brandy
Buy Fine Cognac and Brandy Online
Cognac, Armagnac and Brandy are three popular names of a number of spirits produced by distilling wine. Brandy is an all-encompassing name that includes Cognac, Armagnac, as is Eaux de Vie and some brandies are produced by distilling fruit rather than grapes.
Brandy (brandy wine) is made from early cropping bitter in taste grapes in order to achieve a higher concentration of acidity, which helps both in the distillation process and brings out the desired brandy style of spirit prior to the finishing and aging process.
The most acclaimed brandies are of course Cognac and Armagnac, although today Italy, Spain, South Africa and a number of other counties around the world do produce some exceptional wine based brandies. On the other side of the coin, France and a few other countries do produce in large quantities wine based Brandies of a basic nature which do fill an important position in the market place.
At Alexander Wine Merchants, Southampton, Hampshire, UK we do focus on cognac and fine brandies from Europe ranging from good quality VS to exceptional marques and old vintages of cognac. A superb cognac being Leopold 10 Carats as is Cognac Gautret XO
We are also very proud of our selection of Spanish brandies namely from the Spanish regions of Brandy de Jerez and Brandy del Penedes. We can certainly recommended Sandeman Imperial Spanish Brandy and Carlos 1 Imperial XO 15 Year Old Gran Reserva Spanish Brandy.
A good quality cognac or brandy should be drunk neat, preferably in a brandy style glass or some in Spain prefer a sherry type copita glass. Make sure the brandy is at room temperature and one’s glass should ideally be warm. Pour one or two measures, swirl and bring to the nose to smell several times, then sip very slowly and savour in the mouth for as long as possible before swallowing. Practice and Brandy will be your friend for life.